It took me years to really implement self-love into my life; I struggled with anxiety and depression and allowed that to take over my life and felt below worthless at times. I don’t want anyone to ever feel that way; it’s not pleasant, and honestly, life is too short. I wanted to put this out to the universe to anyone just needing guidance or a reminder that you are worth it. You are beautiful, and you can live happily, you can live your best life.
It took me over 10 years to really “master” the practice of self-love. It took a lot of hard work and will for you as well, but hopefully, with these tips, it won’t take you 10 years to master.
First, let’s get a little better understanding of self-love and what exactly it is. It’s a bit more than just treating yourself to a hot bath. Self- Love is something unique to each person. The definition of Self-love is ” regards to one’s own well being and happiness.” To me, that means being aware of how your feeling and inspired, feeling aligned with your soul. For me, self-love was the first step that changed my mindset and helped me see things more clearly. No one will ever know you better than yourself; you are the person with you all day, you know of your thoughts and feelings, what angers you, what sparks joy, you ultimately influence yourself more than anything or anyone else.
Self-Love is being your biggest fan; no one else can be a bigger fan than yourself, even if you have a team of people rooting for you, it will be impossible to succeed if you don’t believe in yourself.
5 Ways To Practice Self-Love
- Speak Kind Words– Instead of telling yourself you failed to that, you are unworthy, speak kind words. “I may not have succeeded, but I did my best.” “That was extremely difficult, but I am strong and can handle it.” You are removing the negativity out of your mind and now thinking with a positive attitude, which allows more Positivity to enter your life naturally.
- Be Grateful- It’s hard at first when your stuck in that bubble, but one step at a time, start expressing the things you are grateful for. This allows your mind to separate from the negative thoughts. We can get caught up in worrying about what we don’t have and don’t actually see the good things we do have. Once that barrier is broke, you start worrying less and appreciating more than again, brings more good into your life naturally.
- Choose Positivity- I use to hear, “Just be positive.” so many times, and it would make me want to scream. It is not that easy! That is true; it’s not that easy; you don’t just all of a sudden have all this Positivity, its a work in progress and needs to be introduced with baby steps. Try and see the positive in a negative; life won’t shine sun and rainbows all the time, even in the most positive life. Positivity is trusting yourself and understanding that everything will work out the way it’s supposed to. Keep going, keep doing your best and remind yourself, ” Things will not always be like they are not, you just keep going.” that’s choosing Positivity!
- Be Intentional- This can be difficult for me at times, but I a catch myself drifting off easier, and I can grab myself and snapback. Being intentional is noticing your thought process, seeing where things could be improved and putting the time and effort in to change. When you wake up in the morning, be aware of your thinking; it makes you feel strong and empowered; keep thinking and entertaining those thoughts; if your feeling more overwhelmed, bring yourself back to choosing Positivity and what your grateful for and your intentions. You can read more about how I use my daily intentions here.
- Be Yourself – Stop trying to become something someone else wants for you; although they want the best for you, they don’t know what indeed makes you happy; you are the only person who will be able to direct that part of your life. So Be YOU!
One of the best ways to practice self-love is to recognize that you are you for a reason. Focus on enhancing your unique talents, express yourself, don’t hold back, don’t worry about what others are doing, focus on you, let go of the worry of what others may think of you and live your life. Once I did this, I noticed how much I appreciated my life and how much I Appreciated myself.Practice these in your daily routine, and you will start to see the small changed in each day, and one-day ou will look back and see how far you have come, how naturally self-love falls into place; some days will be more challenging than others, but there is no greater love you will have than the one you will have for yourself.
You are not going to master your life in a day; just relax, master the day, then just keep doing that every day.I hope this has helped make you see yourself in a more flattering way. There are certainly more ways to practice self-love than the ones I have mentioned, but these have been the top 5 critical ingredients to practicing self-love for myself. I would love to hear your thoughts on what ha worked for you!